Saturday, May 16, 2009

Precious Feet



Before I formed you in the womb I knew you.

Mt 25:40 Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me.

Before I became an ENTHUSIASTIC Christian in 1997, when I did sex education, I never really allowed a discussion of abortion in my classroom, because at least one student would say,"You're going to hell because you had an abortion!" I figured that such statements did more harm than good to Christianity in general.

I would however, say that from a geneticist's point of view, when sperm meets egg it becomes a new individual. (I never bought the "It's my body.." point of view and was trying to teach that it was bad science at least.)

Well, I'm no longer in the classroom, no longer protecting the feelings of those who have aborted, and while I don't have such a large audience these days, I can at least honestly say what I think. I think this may have lost me a dear friend, with whom I used to mumble, on this topic. In our last conversation she said, "Let's just pretend I'm pregnant. What gives you the right to tell me what to do with my body?" "If you don't think abortion is murder, it's because you don't understand yet." "Oh," she said. "You're right, Patti. We shouldn't talk about this." We haven't talked at all since then.

Well, enough awfulness for one day.

No comments: