Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Fiction and The Real Future

Mr. P likes books by Dale Brown. When I run out of Grace Livingston Hill, or feel the need for a little vicarious adventure, I listen to Mr. P's books. Right now I'm listening to Strike Force by D. B. Makes me think about the future of war in this world. I especially do the thinking during the firefight scenes, while I basically go deaf. When I try reading Sean Dillon books by Jack Higgins, as I tell Mr. P, my eyes cross after the 3rd grenade.

All of which makes me think about the world's future. I had always assumed that the LORD Jesus Christ will return for His people before the nuclear war, until I took a class at UMKC (87?) from Dr. Michelle Stern. It was Radiation Biology for High School Science Teachers. I learned a little about tactical nuclear weapons, as well as seeing photos af the aftermath at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Later I went to the museum in Hiroshima and saw the drawings on display there taken from the same photos. How polite. The photos were much worse.

Then I stopped thinking about The Future. Then I married Mr. P, who thinks about it a lot. I wanted to pray, "Come quickly, Lord Jesus," but I enjoy my life so very much. I believe with all my heart that the next phase will be even better, but I don't much want this phase to end. Of course there are problems, aches, and pains, but I like the thing when taken in its entirety.

Well, this D.B. book and the news from N. Korea remind me of that class from Dr. Stern. So I suddenly thought, what if God let this go on with "little" nuclear wars or even tactical nuclear weapons(ya know, the ones you carry around like a bazooka or the like). Of course, a bullet in the...wherever, is not pleasant either. However, I feel pretty safe here in the middle of America, with few if any gun battles in this small place. (No famous abortion clinics here!)

So, if the alternative is nuclear war outside ground zero, which would be a quick way to die, then I find myself most heartily praying, "Come quickly, Lord Jesus."

No comments: